Monday, February 21, 2011

free choice artist statement

My free choice project played with the idea of the four elements - so different but yet the same. Their differences are in colors and shapes while their unity is in the texture of my media (a combination of watercolors and colored pencils). I also used rhythm to keep the eye moving between elements. To really emphasize the idea of each element being different, yet part of the same Earth we call our home, I hid a face in the tree. The face is the physical representation of an individual that possesses traits of all four elements -- passion and rage (fire), common sense (earth), intuition/fluidity (water) and evasiveness (air).

1 comment:

  1. Very cool idea...i actually did a sculpture project in college about the 4 elements and the beliefs of the medieval man in the 4 elements. I think this is a subject that could be explored over and over again. Your rendering abilities with the pencil are really enjoyable to look at. I'd love to see you do more with watercolor pencil and paint. I bet you'd do well with it.

    ReplyDelete